Review Appraiser | Property Acquisition Specialist 5 |Shoreline, WA – Telework Options | Washington State Department of Transportation (posted 7/27/2021)
ompany Description: Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is seeking a Review Appraiser to join our Real Estate Services (RES) team. As the Review Appraiser you will be responsible for the timely review and approval of staff and/or consultant appraisals to meet legal requirements and WSDOT project construction advertisement dates. In addition, your expertise will be relied upon as the property valuation subject matter expert for acquisition and disposal of WSDOT property.
If you are looking for a career-establishing position offering great possibilities in real estate appraisal for the public sector, this is an opportunity you do not want to miss!
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Review Appraiser will:
- Review appraisals in support of the RES acquisition and property management program activities, pursuant to WSDOT R/W Manual Chapter 5 (Appraisal Review).
- Analyze complex appraisal issues and determine compliance with applicable State and Federal Regulations.
- Occasionally perform on-site property inspection.
- Assist with training and mentoring appraisal staff.
- Independently appraise complex and non-complex real estate and provide other appraisal services in accordance with WSDOT RW Manual Chapter 4 (Appraisal).
- Provide expert real estate appraisal advice and guidance to staff and advise engineering groups on impacts to properties due to project design, suggesting alternatives when appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Three (3) years of appraisal experience in appraising various commercial and industrial property types; or one year of experience as a Property and Acquisition Specialist 4.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- Washington State Certified General Appraiser License or equivalent certification or license to appraise all property types from another state required.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective relationships and outstanding communication with diverse populations, including management, property owners, technical staff, and other public agencies, evidenced by work history.
- Knowledge of the following:
- Uniform Standard of Professional Appraisal Practices (USPAP).
- Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970, including amendments.
- Uniform Appraisal Standards for Federal Land Acquisitions.
- Eminent domain real estate appraisal principles and procedures.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Bachelor’s degree involving major study in business administration, real estate, economics, or a related field.
- Designation from the Appraisal Institute, with the MAI and/or AI-GRS designation
Application Instructions: Applications are accepted electronically through our website. Please click HERE to apply.
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.