Becoming an Appraiser
All 50 states have education, experience and exam requirements to obtain a real estate appraiser license or certification, so it’s best to start by understanding the Washington State Department of Licensing Real Estate Appraiser requirements. Their web page (listed with the links below) describes the real estate appraiser classifications and what you must do to attain them.
A liberal arts education is a good basis for anyone considering a career in real estate appraisal. Backgrounds in economics, finance, business administration, architecture, law, engineering, computer technology, sociology, and English composition may be particularly helpful. Appraisal firms may employ appraisal assistants and trainees or offer part-time work to college students. Financial institutions and county assessors’ offices may also offer opportunities for on-the-job training. There is no standard time or cost to become an appraiser as it depends upon an individual’s schedule, whether they take courses in person or online, how they gain their experience hours, and so on.
How the Appraisal Institute Can Help
Appraisers master the intricacies of their profession through specialized education. As the recognized leader in real estate appraisal education, the Appraisal Institute offers classes that address the needs of appraisers at every stage of their career development – from those you need to become an appraiser to ones that will help expand your knowledge and further your career. For more than 80 years, the Appraisal Institute has been the world’s leading organization of professional real estate appraisers and has led the way in fostering and promoting the highest standards of practice. Find out more about the Appraisal Institute.
Use the links below to get started:
- Brief descriptions of the profession and appraiser categories (find the basics)
- Appraisal Institute’s information on starting as an appraiser (find your career)
- WA State Department of Licensing RE Appraisers Program (find your requirements)
- Seattle Chapter of the Appraisal Institute (find local education and events)
- Appraisal Institute Education (find education across the nation and online)
- Appraisal Institute’s Find an Appraiser (find someone who’s been there)
- Appraisal Institute Membership categories, application forms, requirements (find your community)
- Summary of Appraisal Institute Designation requirements (find your path to career advancement)
Changes to qualification criteria as of January 1, 2015
The Appraiser Qualifications Board (AQB) of the Appraisal Foundation has adopted changes to the Real Property Appraiser Qualification Criteria that became effective January 1, 2015. Visit the WA State Department of Licensing for more information.